Leading Marines is about Marine Corps Leadership
This website is intended for use by Past, Present and Future Marine Leaders. Leading Marines is intended to be a one-stop-shop for Marine leadership resources. Started by Marines in 2009 this site is a repository for all things associated with Marine Corps Leadership. Although we’ve been around awhile, this site to be a work in progress, please feel free to comment and send us your ideas.
Charles L. “Charlie” Harrison – Wake Island & Korea P.O.W.
Private First Class Charles L. Harrison (MCSN: 274541), United States Marine Corps, was captured by the Japanese after the fall of Wake Island on 23 December 1941, and was held as a Prisoner of War until his return to U.S. Military Control at the end of the war. A very select few American serviceman hold the title of former P.O.W. Charlie Harrison is one of those Americans. The fact that Charlie was a Japanese P.O.W. during WWII itself makes him unique in Marine Corps History.
“Without USMC training I would have never lived”
MARINE CORPS PROFESSIONAL READING LIST
- Making the Corps by Thomas Ricks
- My Men Are My Heroes by SgtMaj Brad Kasal
- With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge
- American Spartans: A Combat History from Iwo Jima to Iraq by James A. Warren
- The Face of Battle: A Study of Agincourt, Waterloo, and the Somme by John Keegan
- Corps Values: Everything You Need to Know I Learned In the Marines by Zell Miller
- The Art of War by Sun Tzu
- The Virtues of War: A Novel of Alexander the Great by
- Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
- Lincoln on Leadership by Donald T. Phillips
USMC LEADERSHIP TRAITS
Marine Corps Leadership Traits (JJ DID TIE BUCKLE)
The 14 USMC leadership traits are qualities of thought and action which, if demonstrated in daily activities, help Marines earn the respect, confidence, and loyal cooperation of other Marines. It is extremely important that you understand the meaning of each leadership trait and how to develop it, so you know what goals to set as you work to become a good leader and a good follower.